Friday, July 25, 2008

Let's out the NON-asshats today!

For those of you who love positive posts...


Today I'd like to out the non-asshats. Who can you recommend who sells horses honestly? Tells you the truth about their age, training, what kind of rider they're suitable for?

Everybody advertises horses as ranch broke. What ranches really DO sell super broke, novice friendly horses who have seen and done it all?

What about rescues? Who adopted from a rescue and the horse was exactly as described and the rescue has been supportive and you love the horse?


Or trainers? Who did you send a horse to and you got what you paid for and were super happy with the results? And they were kind to your horses and the horse came back happier than it left?

I could name a lot of names, but I'm going to keep this brief. Years ago I used to do a lot of business with a horse dealer who is still in business. His name is Fred Carney, and he's in Wadsworth, Illinois. I will always remember this about Fred: We had gone to look at a medium bay pony for one of my lesson students. I think she was 9 or 10 at the time. Pony rode awesome. Broke to death. Loved it. I was going to come back with a trailer and the money the next day.

Fred called me that night. He told me the pony had displayed aggression in the stall and wasn't safe for a kid, so I shouldn't buy him.

WHO DOES THIS? OMG. Seriously, I would say MORE often than not, a big time hunter barn would keep that little freshly discovered fact to themselves, collect the money and send Satan Pony home with the new buyer. And then claim he'd NEVER done anything like that EVER before when he chomped on the kid. I got 100% ethical, absolute honesty from a dealer. I was so impressed. That is probably 15 years ago now, or more, and I will never forget it.


Remember, you can use HTML to make links in your comments to their web sites or to pictures. You cannot use the IMG SRC tag but you can use A HREF. If you don't know any of this, click here to learn.

(P.S. If you post to this thread pretending to be a customer of yourself, YOU ARE AN ASSHAT. Grow the fuck up. We'll probably just bust you doing it, anyway. You folks who do stuff like that aren't typically very smart.)



Although she's not yet available for adoption, I had to feature Harmony as today's Friday Featured Rescue. First of all, she sounds like the sweetest thing ever, and secondly, I have a "Harmony." She's being rehabbed by Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society and they could definitely use donations earmarked for her care.

"This mare is a sweet as they come. She seems to appreciate everything you do for her and thanks you with a nicker." Harmony is just 9 years old, and is a 16.2 Thoroughbred. She needs to be some Fugly blog reader's show horse so I can hear her updates! She's in Elgin, Texas.

Happy Friday, everybody!