Thursday, January 24, 2008

Just when I think I've seen the worst thing on the Internet...

Wow. Wow. Wow.



My faithful readers know that I do not shock easily, but I have to say that I read about today's "rescue" with my mouth hanging open in utter astonishment. I just don't even know where to begin, and I'm not sure I can even snark about this because it is just ghastly and awful and I (standard disclaimer applies, note use of "feel" to clarify lack of action) FEEL like dragging these people behind my car with a big rope. And after you read all of this, you will too.




Original link.

Just to summarize, this is a deformed filly that lived three years. Those three years included being hit by a car and bitten by a rattlesnake, a couple guys trying to sever her spinal cord with a knife, battling massive infection in her hugely deformed leg and finally shot in the head after being down for God only knows how long. And I'm sure He knew because these asshats talk to Him ALL the time according to their site.


Allow me to quote from their description of Blaze's final days "With help, Blaze could stand. Then it came to the point where even with help, Blazes legs just couldn’t hold her up. In her weakening condition, Blaze would try to stand. She would try so hard to just sit up…but she couldn’t. She was quickly acquiring sickening sores on the underside of her body with the smell of death emanating from her skin."








While there are many other horrors on this site, including a rescued mare and foal behind barbed wire (the foal "didn't make it," imagine that), I want to focus on this one. YOU DID NOT DO A WONDERFUL THING KEEPING THIS POOR, POOR CREATURE ALIVE FOR THREE YEARS! Why are people SO damn death-phobic that they make an animal suffer like this? The entire story is a horror from start to finish.








The vision of this filly lying there unable to "sit up" and covered in sores is not one I needed swimming around in my head. And these asshats have a 501(c)(3). OMG. And they're our Bad Parents du Jour, as well!

And of course they take Paypal.

As they say on their site "With the opposition we receive from government entities and local people, we trudge on." Why let animal control stop us? We're gonna keep that filly alive! It's the will of God! He told me so!

Folks, we really need a better system for evaluating what is and isn't a legitimate rescue than a 501(c)(3) application. Any thoughts on licensing rescues? I'd like to see them evaluated and pass a test before the tax status is granted, since after that it's just a gimme-gimme-gimme free for all. What do you think?