Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Today's very happy update!

I know you guys love this stuff, so I just wanted to mention that you should all check out the updates on Petersburg Knight's page. For you newcomers, Petersburg Knight VERY narrowly escaped slaughter this spring due to an extremely disreputable individual named MeSue Babcock who lied to get him for free and then took him straight to an auction where he went to the kill buyer. He was saved due to donations from the readers of this blog. He is now sound and has proven to be a wonderful trail horse!

Make sure you read the page about his hoof rehab. Extremely interesting and educational! Note that he was misdiagnosed as being laminitic. This happens a lot with sore footed horses and it's very important to be knowledgeable about that possibility. I had a vet try to tell me they thought one of mine was laminitic last week and I said, uh uh, abscess. Guess who was right? Yep. Abscess.
I'm not saying ignore the vet, I'm saying get a second opinion and don't just accept a dire diagnosis if it doesn't sound right to you. (I have another friend who had a vet tell her that her horse had neurological issues and should be put to sleep...horse was a STB pacer and the vet apparently hadn't come across one before, fortunately friend ignored vet, got second opinion and the horse is alive, sound and being ridden regularly today).


Earlier blogs about Petersburg Knight:

First Ride (bottom of the post)


The happy endings do happen. Thanks to all of you who made this possible, and I'll continue to update you on his life!
Edited to add another happy ending: HOW COOL IS THIS STORY?